These Orange Pancakes are a sunday breakie for sure.lazy day just chilled and of course chilling and pancakes are best friends.I love fruits with pancakes,or using fruits to sweeten pancakes,so much health in your favorite breakfast comfort food, or so i tell myself when i need pancakes. I used orange juice and banana to sweeten these pancakes. If you stick with me you will definitely learn the art of sweetening pancakes without refined sugar!
We have several kinds of oranges, and the ones i use here are the mandarin oranges, they are much juicier and sweeter. You can squeeze the juice out of them or just crush the whole orange in there, it will even give more texture to the pancakes and so much better to include the fibre from the pulp. if you use any other kind of oranges don’t sieve them, you are literally throwing away the fibre.
Anyway back to the orange pancakes, These are served with what is 10 minute orange sauce, and a pear that i dipped in the sauce while it was simmering. The pear just absorbs all the sweetness from the sauce. For the sauce i did use some honey to thicken it a bit, but if you a sugar person, of course you can substitute for that, unto each his own right?
- 1 banana
- ½ cup orange juice (2 medium oranges squeezed or crushed)
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- Butter just for greasing pan
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- For orange sauce; 2 oranges, dash of cardamon powder and 1 tablespoon honey
- Blend the banana with the oranges or the orange juice
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt . Mix properly
- Whisk in the egg, orange zest and banana orange juice mixture. Whisk until well combined. The batter will not be smooth, this is fine. There is some pulp from the orange.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat (180degreees celcius) and grease with some butter. Scoop 1/4 cup/3 tablespoons batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip pancakes then cook until golden brown on the other side. Cook the rest in the same way. Serve with orange sauce.
- For orange sauce; Squeeze 2 oranges in a sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon honey, dash of cardamom powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour in the banana and orange juice into the batter cautiously because fruit sizes vary. Mix it in until you get a consistent batter.